COVID-19 Resources for Families with Young Children
Emotional Well-being Toolkit: Resources for Children, Families & Caregivers
This is a stressful time for children and families. Concerns about the spread of COVID-19 are growing. Children may struggle with significant adjustments to their routines, which may interfere with their sense of security. Pressure on parents and caregivers can be overwhelming and leads to frustration. The Illinois Pyramid Model State Leadership Team, in collaboration with the Governor's Office of Early Childhood Development, has collected resources to help manage stressors and to promote wellness during these challenging times. The Emotional Well-being Toolkit includes: Click Here for more Information.
- How to Communicate with Children about COVID-19
- Learning Activities to Do at Home
- Parent and Children Self-care
- And more!
- Family Community Resource Center Urgent Call Teams (IDHS)
- COVID-19 Public Communication (Illinois Department of Public Health -IDPH):
- Opt-in to receive a welcome message from IDPH and a second text letting you know you will receive updates about COVID-19 in Spanish or English.
- Call4Calm: Illinois residents experiencing stress and mental health issues related to COVID-19 can text "TALK" or "HABLAR" to: 5-5-2-0-2-0 to connect with a mental health professional.
- Illinois Cares for Kids is one place parents, grandparents, and caretakers can access all things related to early childhood education and care in Illinois. You can find resources, programs, and support.
Questions about COVID-19?
- Restore Illinois is a five-phased plan guided by health metrics to safely and deliberately reopen Illinois.
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH.illinois.gov) has a statewide, 24-hour COVID-19 hotline (1-800-889-3931) and a designated email address (DPH.SICK@Illinois.gov).
- Lurie Children's COVID-19 Call Center - Do you have questions about COVID-19? You can call (312) 227-5300 and speak with a Lurie Children's nurse with questions related to testing criteria, symptoms, or general information. The Call Center is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and on weekends from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Seeking parent tips and activities during the pandemic?
- Parenting for Lifelong Health developed COVID-19 Parenting Tips, proven parenting tips and activities for all ages in over 100 worldwide languages.
- Most Illinoisans are eligible for the Child Care Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit from the federal government. Visit www.GetMyPaymentIL.org. Via the dropdown menu in the top left corner of the homepage, the site can be translated into: English, Arabic, Chinese, Polish, Spanish, and Tagalog.
- Eligible Illinois residents and families can apply to receive assistance with food, rent, utilities, temporary shelter, medicine, and other essential household services at: www.helpillinoisfamilies.com.
Food and Nutrition
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (Illinois State Board of Education)
- Application for Benefits Eligibility (ABE)
- Find Food Near You (Greater Chicago Food Depository)
Internet Access for CPS Students
- Chicago Connected is a groundbreaking program that will provide free high-speed internet service to approximately 100,000 Chicago Public Schools (CPS) students. Chicago families can click here to check their eligibility.
Countering COVID-19 Stigma & Racism
- Countering COVID-19 Stigma and Racism: Tips for Parents and Caregivers (National Association of School Psychologists)
Preventing Sexual Abuse
- Keeping My Family Safe: A Workbook about Sexual Abuse Prevention for Parents and Caregivers (Chicago Children's Advocacy Center)
- Manteniendo la seguridad de mi familia: Un libro de ejercicios sobre la prevención de abuso sexual para padres y cuidadores (Chicago Children's Advocacy Center)
Pregnancy During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Caring for Newborns (CDC)
- COVID-19 and Pregnancy: What You Need to Know (Kaiser Permanente)
- EverThrive Illinois: Understaning COVID
- March of Dimes Announces What Moms and Moms-to-Be Need to Know During COVID-19 Pandemic
Extended Family Support
Protection for My Family & Household
- Helping Children Understand Emotions When Wearing Masks (tip sheet) (NCMPI)
- Wearing Masks (a scripted story for children) (NCPMI)
- Tips on Face Masking for Children During COVID-19 (IL Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Helping Children Understand the Pandemic and the Importance of Handwashing (Video Story by Ilene Dudek)
- COVID-19 Maternal and Child Health Resource List (UIC School of Public Health)
Resources for Immigrant Families
- IllinoisUnidos.com (site available in both English and Spanish)
Resources for Children with Special Needs
- Early CHOICES YouTube page has offerings for families and caregivers of children with Special Needs
- Families in Early Intervention (EI) see the Illinois Early Intervention Clearinghouse Site - Everyday Early Intervention During Coronavirus